PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 20:25
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sombre thoughts-indeed.

Regrettable, but spot on Creampuff. I've never paid too much mind to the antics of polly's, preferring to accept it all as just a small part of the cost, being lucky enough to live in a 'democracy'. I believe I will return to that philosophy, slightly more cynical after watching and studying the process up close, during the latest Senate inquiry. Disappointed? – no, not really, more like saddened. It's a bit rum; that even despite some transitory interest and an opportunity to affect some form of change, the whole debate is buried somewhere in Never never land, the deputy PM leaning on a shovel, watching.

What did I expect eh? Perhaps that the Prime Minister may use the wealth, expertise, executive power and resources available to institute an effective bush fire program/ system as a matter of national interest, instead of faffing about in a fire truck, getting under everyone's feet. Just about says it all really, the country is burning, people, stock, property going up in smoke; what a great photo opportunity.... That coy little act got more air time than the poor sods who were informed that they MUST complete their tax on time, or be fined; despite the paper work being somewhere in their burnt, wrecked home as part of a life they no longer have.

Aye well; expect the worst and hope for best has always been sound advice. Sandilands at Crikey is still slugging away, pity some of his peers can't, won't or are too afraid to get stuck into the real story. Hells bells, the Woman's Weekly agony column has more teeth (and makes more sense) than the mainstream press.

It is examples like this move by the NTSB that shows the difference between competent, diligent and fearlessly open disclosure of air safety problems and issues in the US today, and the rotten performance in this respect of our own air safety bodies.
One feature of the NTSB investigative process in the US which is lacking in Australia and Europe is its transparency and openness.
There is none of the disgusting collusion and suppression of embarrassing disclosures as seen between our safety investigator, the ATSB, and our safety regulator, CASA, over the 2009 Pel-Air crash, nor the spectacle of the responsible minister, which in that case was Anthony Albanese, failing to fulfil his obligations to respond the detailed remedial recommendations made concerning the Pel-Air matters by an all party and unanimous Senate inquiry.

Last edited by Kharon; 26th Oct 2013 at 20:33. Reason: Whistle up them dogs Minnie, time for a breath of fresh air.