PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 19:13
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

What makes your opinion more correct than mine ? Do tell please ?
I work as a marketing analyst, this is what I do. I am telling you clearly, there is no market to support your dream scenario, the demographics aren't there, the seaonality would kill yields and there are many, many middle sized UK and European airports who have a better case than NQY. Frankly NQY is on a knife edge to survive as a commercial airport and appears to need more taxpayers money to maintain a London link. Let me be utterly clear, in that case, you are not in any way, shape or form, by any relevant metric, in the running for a twice daily BA link to Heathrow. Simon this is not personal between you and I, but let's focus :
Also I'm saying that they could sell the seats, not that they would provide decent yield.
You could just about do it in summer, there is no substantial industry or business to support the out of season services. None.
I do like the you choose to live in Cornwall, you don't deserve decent transport links opinion !
It's not about "deserve", it's about the difficulties of a commercial return without taxpayer subsidy. Actually that's "even more" taxpayer subsidy. It's not commercially viable as the whole county barely has a population of half a million people and is geared to tourism and leisure, around a quarter of GDP. The posts above are good ideas pitching at the right market which does exist, clearly, but you need to tap it in a way that will be affordable for any subsidy and for the consumer.

Having said that if they want BA badly enough, they could pony up some properly serious money to Willie Walsh. I imagine it might be a lot more than the council tax payers would stomach.

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 26th Oct 2013 at 19:16.