PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 18:10
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ozlander
Ground speed has nothing to do with air speed, never has, never will.
I beg to differ - ground speed correlates directly with airspeed in level flight and zero wind conditions.

If you have been following earlier exchanges on the various threads of this voluminous tale you might remember that at one time it was being suggested that ground speed, or at least some sort of GPS derived speed, could have been used to give the crew some idea of their actual speed in the absence of genuine airspeed data. What I was trying to convey was that you cannot just take V/S when assessing what the airspeed might have been, but you can combine V/S with an inertial speed to get an approximation of the actual airspeed ignoring any wind effects. No more than that. I am well aware that doing that does not yield airspeed, but it serves in the absence of valid pitot static data, and certainly is a better approximation to the truth than the airspeed deduced from the standard system at 50 deg AoA or thereabouts. Read what I wrote:

When one puts V/S and ground speed together, the aircraft never got below about 150 kts throughout the whole process
The sole object of mentioning the real airspeed was to point out that the AoA probes were operating in an acceptable speed range. In that respect any "errors" from neglecting wind effects are not important.

Last edited by Owain Glyndwr; 27th Oct 2013 at 08:23.