PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Manuals
Thread: ATPL Manuals
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2003, 17:47
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spils,

Yes, but let us be just a little bit more specific. What needs to be understood is that the fATPL is really intended for people who are intent upon a lifetime career flying multi-pilot, public transport category aircraft. From your post I have the impression that is not what you have in mind.

I suspect most of the people who have advocated the fATPL route will belong to that category, and these people understandably see little point in taking CPL. The CPL limits you to right-hand-seat only on multi-pilot public transport aircraft, PIC only on single pilot aircraft, and 'aerial work', such as being an instructor (with an additional FI rating).

if you obtain an fATPL you will need to fly multi-pilot aeroplanes in order to be able to unfreeze your ATPL. This really means getting an airline job at a time that airline jobs are as scarce as hens' teeth. Otherwise, your fATPL will expire and you will end up with a plain old CPL+ME+IR, which you could have obtained in easier academic and financial stages. It also means getting through all 14 ATPL exams within six sittings.

It's a question of what your flying ambitions are, but all I say is if you don't intend to be an airline jet jockey then there is no point in taking on needlessly difficult and expensive committments that will yield no additional benefit to you bearing in mind your particular aspirations.

Very best regards,

Broomstick