PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hospital Wing AS350B3 accident in Tennessee
Old 26th Oct 2013, 15:21
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is a worthwhile discussion,despite the differing views.
Gemini, as you see, there are many, many reasons for a helicopter transport beyond the condition of a patient.As to that latter issue, who decides what benefits or does not? The patient, the family, the doctors, the flight crew? In our litigious society, in whose hands would you leave the decision? And when I say you, I mean you, personally.Give me a workable solution not a philosophical idea that does not resolve the issue. As the Russians say, the best is the enemy of good.The best solution is to have optimum numbers of helicopters, twin,IFR ,two pilot and flying almost a scheduled operation by day only.What we have is neither the best nor optimum.But ,it works.
It is a known fact that for every flight that ends tragically, there are hundreds and thousands completed safely and routinely.If 95 % of those patients flown did not need a helicopter, that is the way it is, today. But, if 5% are helped or whose outcomes are positive, then this is a worthwhile endeavor.After all, nomne of us is sure whether we ourselves or our family members may end up in that 5% someday.
It is up to all of us,crews, pilots, operators, regulators and customers, to make sure the system is used and not abused and risks are either eliminated or mitigated to manageable proportions.
Fly safe and happy landings!
Alt3.

Last edited by alouette3; 26th Oct 2013 at 15:25.