PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Licence? - Help Please
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2003, 17:29
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
SM -

First thing - can you obtain a JAR Class II medical? If you cannot (and it's much the same as the anuual bollock-fondling you used to get from a service quack), then you're limited to the NPPL.

Or, it might be that funding is the issue. For a start, you're entitled to join a RAFFCA flying club which is a much cheaper place to obtain your licence than anywhere else. So PM me and I'll tell you where to apply.

You may prefer the Microlight route via the NPPL. As a member of the NPPL Policy and Steering Committee, I can confirm that you can do all your training on a microlight - many of which are pretty high performance aircraft - and then obtain credits towards flying a traditional Single Engine Piston light aeroplane on a NPPL by obtaining a NPPL SEP Aircraft Rating. You would be able to maintain both ratings on your licence very simply.

Bear in mind that the NPPL is UK, day VFR only and ask yourself whether you'd ever want to fly in IMC or at night.....or overseas. You could still upgrade your NPPL to JAR-FCL PPL if you wanted to - or you may wish to go for that licence in the first place. That will be your choice - assuming that you're OK for a JAR Class II medical.....

Cheers - and my man sends his regards to Caruthers!!