PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Witnessing a Fatal accident?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 09:47
poohead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good, and interesting ideas thrown around, and I agree with the majority of them.Everyone will handle, or attempt to handle things differently. You're definitely on the right path with staying off the pi55, eating well and going plenty of sleep. Professional care is a great resource to use but understandably it's not for everyone, as has been stated, don't be shy. Even your local GP sometimes can give you some ideas on coping strategies, and Valium to help you get to sleep at night.
Witnessing an 'event' isn't something anyone can 'train' for but as has been mentioned exposure to crappy situations can make it easier, but it can also cause one to be desensitised somewhat too. I'm not suggesting to go out looking for things to experience. Like others, I too have refused professional help that was offered on several occasions, but I have also taken professional help.

My two bobs worth is to talk, talk, talk. To mates, to other people that were present, to the mrs/mr, parents, hairdresser however you can trust or feel as though that you are being listened too.

I've witnessed the biggest and toughest guys fall like a sack of crap for bottling it up, I also personally know others who have let it go and got in way to deep and become suicidal/homicidal, some even being successful at that. (Not meaning to scare anyone)

I'm far from qualified in any form on the subject of PTSD but like numerous others from this forum I have a military background with several deployments (ground combat role and medical) and currently employed as an ambo. I believe that I deal with life much better now in my current role, and it's because that i get the opportunity to talk about the event straight after it. We are busy at the time it's all taking place which also helps but within the next few hours most things are discussed ad nauseum but it's off my chest. Then the days and weeks following it's talked about further and further. For me this works. It doesn't get rid of it, but it helps.

All the best.

Last edited by poohead; 26th Oct 2013 at 09:49.