PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 Files
Thread: TSR-2 Files
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 08:46
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrel 41
I'm sure... What was the plan - to toss an unserviceable Blue Steel from low-level? How reliable was Blue Steel when carried?

S41
As a dud missile, typically either a fuel malfunction or an inertial that went tits up (some training scores were amazing )

According to a Research Branch study*, when a powered launch was not possible a BS could be released with a popup manoeuvre similar to the YS2. Unlike the YS2 the BS was a low-drag shape and its ballistic properties approach that of an ideal bomb. Time of fall is reduced but forward travel is increased.

To ensure blast over pressure was less than 1.5 psi the BS would need to be released in level flight from 11,000 feet.

In theory the aircraft would enter a rapid climb about 11.5 miles from the target, push over, and fly level for about 2 miles with release around 2 miles rom the target.

In training, to get better scores, this was subjected to creep back with that level flight portion increased to 5 miles or more. The time from exposure to bomb detonation was between 140 seconds down to 120 seconds. It was assessed that a well trained and alerted SA2 crew could achieve a kill within 118 seconds.

Close!

* Oct 1963

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 26th Oct 2013 at 09:17.