PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 06:54
African Eagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ye Olde Pilot

The flying suits and bone dome/visor kits worn by UK police ops are just there for the tv reality shows. Real pilots do not need the Top Gun kit.
According to Ye Olde Pilot, helmets are a waste of time worn only by posers - maybe, but I would like clarification on something I was told if anyone can assist.

Before I bought my first helmet I was told that apart from being able to save your life in the event of an accident, helmets are more effective in providing noise protection than headsets.

It was explained to me that noise/sound is not only transmitted through the ear canal but that noise/soundwaves literally bounce off the human skull which can even amplify certain resonances. I was told that a helmet's outer surface is an effective deflector for a wide range of soundwaves and a significant improvement in sound protection when compared with a headset. I've also been told that a helmet is more likely to protect the wearer against the onset of Tinnitus.

Have I been told a pack of lies or do helmets in fact offer better hearing protection than headsets?