PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire Bombers
Thread: Fire Bombers
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 03:17
ramble on

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
I didnt realise that there were others talking about this very topic on the other firefighting thread. Others had picked up on this before I and have made very good points there.

I only opened this thread because I passed through a European airport the other day and saw 6 CL415s sitting idle on the ground while NSW was engulfed in flames with no respite in sight.

I thought it is yet another national embarrassment (along the lines of my pet grievances of everything is for profit in Australia, public infrastructure in private or banks hands and the banal beauracracy of aviation that is driving us to the wall) that we had nothing similar given the environment we live in and the future direction of weather problems.

A lack of suitable water bodies with respect is a red herring - these aircraft are amphibious and could eaily be refilled still reasonable quickly on the ground by water tankers which are cleverly deployed.

What is lacking is the fortitude and strength of leadership in our country.

We need a strong purpose built aircraft, not some old hacks that put people at unfair risk.

It should not be a question of operation for profit, and there should be no question of CASA placing banal beauracratic hurdles or reinventing the wheel.

It should be a case of: Others do it successfully, lets make it happen here too for the benefit of the people.