PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Witnessing a Fatal accident?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2013, 00:23
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been there :-/ Was only 14 when I was the sole witness to a motor glider crash. Of course that was traumatic in itself but the Coroners court was harder to take.

Being a 15 year old in the stand for over an hour getting quizzed by the judge wasn't fun . Neither was the ridicule from the gliding club members questioning my testimony. Basically I saw the nose drop and the aircraft entered a spin to the left before impacting the ground . I could hear gliding club members say things like "Never! He was an experienced pilot , he would never have done that".

For the rest of the day they gave everyone a grilling to see if a 70 year old pilot was hard drinking or took drugs the night before .

In the last half hour the autopsy said he had a massive heart attack . Which was the reason the aircraft did what it did . Then you could hear gliding club members talk how the stall/spin situation made sense. I never received an apology from any of those people.

Certainly was a lesson for a young kid.

Have had a friend not come back from a flight since and that is hard to take. Mixed emotions of expecting him to walking back through the door to questioning yourself or blaming god . Talking to friends helps but everyone deals with differently.