PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2013, 19:58
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fabick Aircraft Co. Bell 47D NC194B in Alberta, Canada in 1949 (Photo: Helicopter Heritage Canada)

This 47 made its way up from Lambert Field, St. Louis, Missouri in 1949 to assist in a gravity meter survey in Chard, north of Lac La Biche in Alberta, Canada. The United Geophysical Company were searching for suitable areas in which to perform wildcat well drilling operations and were able to complete the survey (thanks to this and one other 47) without any major road construction.

Evidently Fabick Aircraft Co. of St. Louis made several seasonal return trips to Canada in the late 40's and early 50's.

Hiller UH-12C G-APDV as seen at Stapleford Aerodrome in July 1971 (Photo: Brian Bickers)

'DV' began her time in the UK with Fison Airwork of Cambridge in 1957. Fison was then subsumed into Airwork Helicopters of Redhill (which is .. I guess .. what Bristows decided to call Fison Airwork after buying them) and was shipped-out to Trinidad in 1961. In '68 the craft was officially registered to Bristows and the following year bought by The Hon. Peter Irving Pellew (aka Viscount Exmouth) who sold her to Shackleton Aviation in 1970.

At the time of this photo the craft was owned by Gerry Clark trading as (and I kid you not) 'Nobby Field Helicopters' of Aveley in Essex. (Almost as good as Pork Farm Helicopters!).

Brian Bickers (who took the photo) says: "It was so long ago that I can scarcely remember visiting Stapleford."

Well, we are glad you did!