PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Submarine collision...odds?
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2013, 19:35
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by walter kennedy
I wonder what their depth was in relation to the bathythermal conditions.
They may both have been traveling at the same depth that made sonar detection harder - sort of drastically reduces the odds of a collision if in one plane as opposed to 3D.
Perhaps (in peacetime at least) such submarines should adapt a separation scheme like aircraft - east at odd or even levels and vice versa for west, whatever suits.
drastically increases the odds?

Most of the arguments have been mentioned. In addition to finding a nice quiet bit of sea they must also be in an optimum launch zone as well. Given similar target sets and missile performance sort of reduces the odds even more.

In addition to bathythermal conditions you might also consider comms windows might be similar thus requiring similar depths at the same time.

As for promulgating their patrol area, the RN relied on stealth to avoid detection by friendly MPA. The French probably had the same idea. Didn't always work however as the wet team would frequently go deep and silent and stay stumm.