PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR-2 Files
Thread: TSR-2 Files
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2013, 14:58
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A whole lot of stuff here...

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk.nyud.net...-Hindsight.pdf

A few specific things struck me when I read this.

The low-level radar bombing accuracy was still at a point where a bucket of sunshine was needed, but there was no support (on either side of the political spectrum) for more low-yield tac nukes.

The avionics system seems to have been rather similar to the F-111 Mk II suite - the one used on the F-111D variant, which spent its entire career at Cannon AFB in the wilds of New Mexico, like a crazy aunt confined to a remote asylum.

There were some horrible maintainability issues with things like engine changes.

They would have been much better off sticking to EE's original Mach 1.7 goal, and also expended a lot of effort trying to operate off short runways, which is a bit GLWT with a 55-ton aircraft.

The program management was fubared, with subs running late and not reporting the fact, in the hope and belief that either the prime or another sub would be in worse shape and let them off the hook.

I suspect that if more people had known in 1965 just how much more time and money it was going to take to put operational jets on the ramp, there would have been much less controversy over the cancellation decision.