PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Fokker 27 loses it's propeller at take-off in Paris (CDG)
Old 25th Oct 2013, 12:34
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be interesting to learn whether the whole propeller detached, or whether a blade detached/broke initially, perhaps followed by the others in consequence due to the loads from imbalance.

It sounds as though it was a blade; if the whole propeller assembly fell off, I cannot see it "going through the cabin" although I'm finding it hard to picture what it would do instead.

An "explosion" of the engine, if that really happened before the propeller (or blade) came off, could only have been an uncontained turbine disintegration; I can't think of any other event that could be called an "explosion".

But the F27 has, if I recall correctly, a containment ring, and there is no real reason why the prop should detach, or a blade break, as a result of turbine disintegration.

So I wonder if the "explosion" is just journalese for "it all fell apart with a bang", referring to the propeller/blade loss itself?

Last edited by Capot; 25th Oct 2013 at 12:41.