PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hospital Wing AS350B3 accident in Tennessee
Old 25th Oct 2013, 00:11
homonculus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gemini Twin / Alouette 3

As often is the case, both arguments have validity and the truth is not that simple.

There is no doubt the string of US EMS accidents should not continue. I dont accept, having worked on these systems, that pilots let alone medical staff sign up for the level of risk involved.

However, many transfers are from small community hospitals with very basic levels of medical capability by European standards. In addition the US courts system judges negligence not by the standard a normal group of doctors would provide but by the highest standard that can be provided. Third there are financial pressures to transfer early rather than later.

The protocols are varied and we do not know the protocols nor the individual clinical details in this case or in the case of many accidents. What I find so numbing is that we were having these discussions in the 1980s

It would be interesting to do a retrospective study on the clinical need in the case of the last 100 accidents and a matched pair review of patient outcome. A number of US states have the ability to do this but I have never seen one. We cant turn back the clock for these poor individuals but it would be nice to see a downturn in EMS accidents