PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hospital Wing AS350B3 accident in Tennessee
Old 24th Oct 2013, 23:39
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gemini Twin,
Being in the industry ,I would be the first to admit that our safety record is appalling and even one accident is one too many.However, I do find your comment a trifle naive.Firstly, there is already a tussle going on between different groups (physicians, hospital ER s , ground ambulance crews etc) as to when and how a helicopter is requested.There are strict guidelines and protocols and these are dynamic.They are being revised and updated constantly. There is an element of location, hospital capabilities, ambulance crew capabilities etc that determine a lot of transports. So, in short, someone has to make that decision and sometimes that decision is right sometimes wrong.It is not a perfect system but it is the best we have, to date.
Secondly, all of us ,pilots, nurses,medics and RTs get into this industry knowing the risks. We try to mitigate the risks by various means but, none of us is under the illusion that this is a risky (not dangerous) business and "exposure to harm" comes with the territory. Those who can't handle it leave.Those who stay know the risks, and ,for the most part, work hard to reduce them.
I wonder why you "expose yourself to harm" every night when you get into bed? After all, haven't you heard, people die in their sleep all the time!
Alt3.

Last edited by alouette3; 24th Oct 2013 at 23:43.