PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: CASA Regulatory Reform
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2013, 21:10
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just don't rock the boat-Ok.

So much said, so little done -
What about you Mr Truss, got the gooleys to do the job?
A very valid question, I get a feeling of impending nothingness which is fully supported by the Townsville refueller's offsider's latest scurrilous gossip. Seems old Entsch has had his wings clipped by lack of party support and legal threats, Ol' McDonald (ei,ei,Oh) is miffed and hiding behind the Trusty Truss' latest piffle and McComic on 'you tube' spouting waffle (see 226 above). Gods spare us.

Digging about for something unrelated, stumbled over an interesting power-point presentation by Ron Bartsch, as the 'horse racing' theme piqued my interest, I took five to have a skim through. It's quite well done and valid.
The premise is therefore that no longer can management feel that they can remain aloof or removed from the actions of those whom they employ, and that the latent conditions or active failures built into the culture and operating practices of the organisation are an integral component of their management responsibilities.

“Regulatory compliance should not create an additional burden on an organisation if it provides little or no safety benefit, but should rather be an outcome of a system specifically designed to support the organisation’s safety operations". (Extract from CASA letter to Airline CEOs, June 2007).
Included were references and quotes from the Dick Smith book, Two Years in the Aviation Hall of Doom December 1984. Out of idle curiosity I took a further five to revisit Chapter 10 of the Smith missive. Between Bartsch and Smith a very ugly picture emerges which makes you wonder if anything can ever be changed. These CASA beggars have the public service mandarins so bluffed with the 'mystique' and baffled by the 'blood's on your hands' mantra that nothing short of an ICAO downgrade will make any sort of difference. I note that ICAO have just finished kicking seven bells out of the PNG CASA and are 'in the area'; perhaps Truss should spare a few moments for tea and biccy's with the ICAO crew; get a true picture and sound advice from a team that actually know what they're on about. Yep, I know, dream on - right.

"By mentioning the word "safety" whenever they believe their unfettered control is threatened, or if anyone queries their deliberate preference for granting selective dispensations instead of updating a regulation. This maintains the enormous power base of the bureaucrats concerned.” Dick Smith.
“Now there is a culture of change aversion that has effectively removed Australia from identifying and participating in improvements to air safety.” - Dick Smith Ten years of Aviation Safety Neglect July 2010.
Like Dick or not, you have to admit, he does manage to hit the odd nail or two on the head.

Last edited by Kharon; 24th Oct 2013 at 21:15.