PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefighting plane down in NSW
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2013, 13:36
Don_Apron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes very sad indeed. RIP

We are talking about affordable risk here. Can CASA afford not to let these aircraft operate in times of emergency?? All the bomber pilots are aware of the stress put on firebombing aircraft to a certain extent I am sure. There is also the severe turbulence in and around fires and hill country especially in strong to gale force winds. Not to mention the strain and aerodynamic buffeting a bomber is subject to, when dispensing material at jettison rates. Surely this is a national emergency for Australia, so get the water and retardant on. What does need looking at is the remuneration for pilots.

Grab a piece of metal and bend it long enough and often enough it will break. We all know this. The trick of course, is the determine where it will break, before it does.

What I want to know, is where are the DC10's and B747's and other heavy bombers are, the Americans use? Surely these should have been hired in. I think light aircraft and helicopters is weeing in the wind trying to fight fires on this scale.

The Dromader is an old Eastern block design, originally fitted with a 1000hp "iron" engine. Used to carry 2500 liters then IIRC. Since then some have put been fitted with turbine engines, God knows what they are carrying?

Last edited by Don_Apron; 24th Oct 2013 at 16:01.