PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is John Howard Doing The Right Thing
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2003, 10:30
stormywx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have managed to hold my tongue for a long time now.

I have nothing but respect for the ex crew of Ansett aircraft however it seems that a minority (and I sincerely hope it is only a minority) feel that they have the right to be employed above everyone else and complain that they haven't above anyone else.

As someone who was interviewing in the hospitality industry after Ansett closed, I can only say I was shocked at how many ex-ansett staff expected to march into jobs just because of who they were, above others who dererved the positions just as much and it truely showed.

Not only did Ansett closing cost your jobs but it also cost the jobs of many more in the industry, right down to the low levels of general aviation and hospitality where the progression into airlines came to a very suddern halt. Even now people are still seriously effected by this, yet I'm sure very few of you see this.

May I also remind you how many peoples jobs in the same industry were directly effected by the terrorist events of 11/9, yet they have not been given the same support as any of you.

I have had the opportunity to work with ex Ansett staff since its closure and these particular staff have gotten on with their lives and while Ansett will always be in their memory, they are where they are now because they have moved on and support new companies and industries.. these are the people who are the true inspiration from the ex Ansett group of companies.

Whilst I'm sure we all wish you the best of luck with Qantas and your future employment prospects, it is also time that you and the minority of others showed respect for not only the people you are working around but also people on the other side of the world fighting to protect your very way of life. If this delays you getting a job by 6 months then that is a small price to pay for knowing that even one life may have been saved on the other side of the world.

Prehaps before you have the opportunity to "move on" with your life, you should re-discover the empathy and community spirit that I'm sure made you a fantastic Flight Attendant with Ansett.