PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2013, 17:34
ATNotts

Received 292 Likes on 163 Posts
Nigel.

I know that the alleged high charges are one of your long standing hobby horses, but I would ask a simple question.

In a commercial world why would any airport (truthfully) answer questions relating to it's fees, which are fundamental to it's commercial operation, to any organisation who's aim was / is to publish league tables?

Take DFS (other furniture stores are available); they claim that they sell a sofa for £ 999.99 - but are suddenly able to flog it for $ 499.98 - half price. If an organisation were to survey furniture retailers, and were fed with "normal price" information by DFS they would surely rank amongst the most expensive.

What BHX charge airlines, and for that matter concessions, has nothing to do with a published table of rates, but to do with a negotiation between them (the seller) and the airline / concessionaire (the buyer). This is how the commercial world works.

Of course if BHX were to offer, buy now with nothing to pay until Easter, then 3 years free credit, then I'm sure they'd have airlines queuing up to operate - but then again that's the sort of deal that O'Leary expects - and I suspect, except for daft airport managements, never gets.