PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2013, 17:25
Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iran

Iran 1

"......the decision to pull out of Iran was not taken lightly, severing a link which was forged in 1956......."

Bristows were in Iran for 23 years ( 1956-1979) with bases/staging posts all over the country so I'll skip a map for this one.

Teheran, Khorramshahr, Bahregan Oil Centre, Kharg Island, Shiraz, Bushehr, BICC, BOC, BAFQ, Kerman, Resaleigh, Galehmurghi, Lavan Island, Boshire, Baragan, Geotronics, Kerman, Yazd, Tabas, Rashed, Razir, Gach Saran and Khosrovabad are all places which have appeared in various people's e-mails, Bristow archives and the "request for information" sheets I sent out many years ago. Some of the spellings are no doubt rather dubious and trying to trace them in my favourite 1961 atlas also came up with a lot of blanks so I won't try to put them all on a map at this stage!

I bet this web page below doesn't "go viral" but a useful reference with the multiple registrations some of the old machines use to carry. With Iran coming to an end the year I joined Bristows I was to spend the next 24 years working on a variety of ex-Iran 212s. I would assume all the G-reg machines were Bristows but some, such as EP-HBF, never made UK registration.

ROTORSPOT - Complete Civil Rotorcraft Register of Iran

About forty pics for Iran from a number of people who I mostly can't remember!

So we start with Vintage Iran.

A couple of Whirlwinds on contract to IPAC (Iran Pan American Oil Company) which operated at a place called Khosrovabad, about 20 miles south of Abadan, which was an old abandoned oil camp from Mossadeq's time. As you can see, the rotors are perfectly synchronised which was achieved by judicial use of the rotor brake..........or so the story goes. Ian Clark and Ken Bradley being the pilots. Circa 1960

Whirlwind, EP-HAK at the summit of Mt. Neizar, 1970.
The aicraft was detached from Khorramshahr to help with the installation of microwave stations.
Crewing:- Eng. Colin Miller, Plt. D.Smith.