PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 23rd Oct 2013, 11:38
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Woolf, thanks for the corrections, its 7 years since I flew an L2! I recall that the L2 didn't like being 4 axis in the cruise or climb near a power limit and had it in mind that it didn't cope with this. So how does it cope with climbing with power demands (IAS and vertical speed say) being set to higher values than achievable within the power limit? Or cruising at Vh in 4 axis (I know this is not routinely done in oil and gas, but it was done in SAR (3-axis) for a genuine emergency callouts)

As to my last para, it was my intention to show that the L2 is "normally" flown in 3 axis. By "normally" I mean for the vast majority of the overall flight time. I fully agree that everyone normally flies an instrument approach in an L2 coupled 4 axis, but the point is that, in the overall context of the flight regime, this is a pretty short period and is therefore "not normal" overall, even though it is "normal" for an IFR approach. If you get my drift!

Whereas for a 225 its "normal" to be 4 axis virtually all the time.

Last edited by HeliComparator; 23rd Oct 2013 at 11:41.