PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Committee investigating a BNE Curfew
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2013, 07:24
ad-astra

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sir, I have been made aware that a Committee has been established by the Department of Transport and Infrastructure who are now considering the merits of recommending a curfew for Brisbane Airport. I also understand that this Committee is a result of a recommendation in the 2009 National Aviation Policy White Paper under the then Rudd Government. As an Airline Captain with Virgin Australia and a resident of Brisbane it concerns me greatly that such a proposal is even under consideration. For example during daylight savings an aircraft would not be able to depart BNE for SYD until 6 am arriving at 830 am in SYD. The last legal departure from SYD would be at 1030 pm Sydney time meaning the last arrival from SYD into BNE would be 1100. Taking into account the usual holding that is imposed at this time of night (40 minutes) it is probable the last realistic flight out of SYD for BNE will be at 930 pm. The business community will be baying for blood when they appreciate the impact on their normal day to day operations. It is incomprehensible that the nation's third busiest Airport would be closed for 30% of the day. The nonsense of a curfew is mind bogglingly stupid and once in place will never be removed. The impact on the Airline operators, the Airport operator and the immense number of companies and staff that are dependent upon a 24 hour operation will be immense. Why would a second runway be of any use when it can't be used for 30% of the day. Please consign this politically driven hangover from the previous Government to the rubbish bin where it most certainly deserves to be.
Sent to Prime Minister T Abbott, W Truss, and my local member.
If we don't complain now we cant complain afterwards!