PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2003, 05:05
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catch 22

I'm glad you know exactly what happened. I'm also glad you know that "ex-military types" fly aeroplances completely differently to civil types (military aerodynamics and structures are, after all, different?).

As an aside, as an ex-military type, IF the "pilot induced" theory is correct, then nothing in my military, or civil training, would induce me to do anything like what it is alleged this crew did (that's type training on light pistons, JPs, Hawks, Harriers, A340/320, B757/767).

JB
<<however if this is a general problem with all the production A300 aircraft Airbus will be at fault>>
Not sure what you are saying here? If the crew carried out actions sufficient to detach the fin, then there is a likliehood this would happen on any A300? How does this then become Airbus' fault?

Please note, I am not in any way blaming the crew. There are 2 theories to this accident:
1. Rapid full/large rudder deflections in opposite directions exceeding the certified load of the fin. If this is the case, then there are also comments that AA had taught aggressive recovery techniques from "jet upsets", and this may have been a factor.
2. Something in the rudder / yaw control system of the aircraft went wrong.

And I suspect nothing will ever really be proved as to which it was...

NoD