PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fate at times hits hard
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2013, 19:38
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WestWind 1950, my good wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery.

Next to my father one of my biggest mentors in flying was Frank Kirk who was the CFI at Tollerton (and also a full time pilot for Rolls Royce) where I did much of my early flying from about 1964 onwards.

Frank walked with a considerable limp. He'd had an engine failure after take off (in a Kittyhawk I think) and unfortunately clobbered a pill box on his fall to earth. They told him he would never walk again. Whilst convalescing he became an Air Traffic Controller at Hucknall for about a year (his ATC liaison was excellent!). This happened before I even got to know him.

Not only did he go on to walk again, he got all his flying qualifications back and gave me my first flight in a jet aircraft from Hucknall in 1969 after RR had taken delivery of a new HS 125. It was a training flight and apart from take off and landing and a couple of stalls when I was strapped in down the back I stood between the seats for the whole of the flight.

Whenever I have been faced with challenges in my flying career I always think of him. He was a superb pilot and an excellent instructor - I am always thankful for what he taught me in my formative days of flying.

I guess the moral of the story is never give up - as I am sure you will not.