PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top of the World: photos from Nepal
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2013, 14:45
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Angel Top of the World - details

G'day nuthin
Hi VF

My employer is discussing the idea of trading the L4 I have as a base machine for a 350BA. Dont laugh.
80% of my work is less than 10000' and the 20% that is can be done with less than gross weights and any emergencies that require higher loads to higher altitudes can be covered with either a c20R equipped 206 or a 350B3.

My question is how useful were the Bs and BAs before the last one was rolled up? Did the 206 outshine them as far as useful loads to say 10-12000?
Looking at the books and previous experience I would say the BA is gasping above 6000.

This is just at the discussion stage now and my preference is to keep the L4 as its a great all rounder that I know stays here in this location.
I am dubious of calling in a B3 from other work during an emergency situation.
My customer base cannot yet support the cost of the B3 as a permanent base machine but that is certainly the goal one day.

Any input appreciated.
Brother the BA is a gret machine which will carry more than a 206B always below 10,000', But at a higher $$$price. Nearing the usefull breathing ability of the B & BA the 206 will lift the same at 16,000'ish so up there is the same working load. the 206B with C20R will outperform the B & BA. Working usefully up to probably 18-19,000'

Stick to the L4 & bolt on the HA tail rotor blades (same as the 407) & You'd have almost a 407 doing the same work at higher altitudes, so its the cheaper option.

The B3 is the dream machine, more power than You can use, responsive, forgiving, the ultimate sporty beast

Happy Landings

VF