PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FNPT Flight Simulators
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2013, 12:45
sarboy w****r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNPT Flight Simulators

Mods - please bear with me on this. I've posted this thread in Tech Log, then it was moved to Flight Testing when there was no response. There have been hundreds of views of the post on each forum, but not a single comment. I know that there are lots of training providers that read this thread so I thought perhaps they may be able to assist, or at least point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to understand the different certification levels of flight simulators. I can see in CS-FSTD A & H what the different technical specs should be, i.e. the minimum technical requirements for the different levels of certification.

So far, so good, however I have 2 questions please.

Firstly, what does having a FFS or FTD allow you to do as a training organisation that an FNPT (1/2/3/MCC) does not? e.g. I can see that an FNPT II and MCC FNPT would allow you to run IR and MCC courses. i.e. what can you do in a FFS or FTD that you may not do using a suitable level of FNPT?

Secondly, in order for a simulation device to be used, the device must be qualified and the user (the FTO) approved. The CAA fees for qualification are hefty (potentially £20k+, depending on type of sim to be qualified). If a manufacturer has developed a device, I understand that the first qualification of the device must follow the full qualification test procedure. My questions is: do subsequent simulators built to the same design and specification require an approval and if so, is it the full procedure that is followed?

Many thanks.