PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is sidestick the way of the future
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2013, 08:01
RichTam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidesticks and Startle Effect

Here is a personal experience in a race-car situation, which I think is informative: I was in the UK, was totally accustomed to right-hand drive. I had an opportunity to use the Rover / Solihull race test track, and grabbed it. Going into a low-speed hairpin turn (part of their mountain track test) from a high speed, something happened I didn't expect: with no time to think, I downshifted TO THE RIGHT, which was wrong. I finally figured it out: my subconscious was oriented in BODY-CENTRIC MODE, not in left-right mode.

Why do I mention this? I believe that center sticks/yokes are a more "natural" control (OK, I know this is subjective). Yes, side-sticks can be used well and easily, but what happens in an emergency? Are the instant control inputs OK vs. control column? Please let me know.

And this leads to a non-airline issue: the Cirrus has a side-YOKE, not a side-STICK. For this a/c, I think my example above truly applies: low and slow, in a stall going into a spin with no time to react, I believe that the natural reactions will over-control and end the flight very soon.

Please let me know your comments.

RichTam