PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Hours Down Again
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2013, 07:36
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Un - affordable safety is clearly the way to go."

Unfortunately Dick thats the mantra of our regulators.
I hear rumours that the "iron ring" has placed themselves outside any scrutiny by anyone, not even their own complaints person...very nice lady but she cannot involve herself in any scrutiny of the top five, not even if she receives a "Turkey slap" of blatant corruption.
The intent I fear is those guiding current policy are of the belief that by restricting the number of AOC's either by shutting them down by Hook but mostly by crook or pricing them out of business, will leave behind super AOC holders capable of absorbing the massively increased cost of regulatory bastardry, much like the super medical clinics promoted by the previous government, to cure deficiencies in health care.
What they fail to realise that aviation is by and large a service industry and other than the mainline airline part of it, not something essential, just something nice to have if needed. Drive the cost up and a point is reached where the user says, "bugger this I dont want to buy the bloody aircraft, just rent it for a few hours" and starts looking for alternatives, that is why hours flown are diminishing.
I can remember years ago flying you round the Southwest of Tasmania and seeing the enthusiasm and excitement in your eye's, you just dont see that anymore. The Kid hanging over the aerodrome fence is gone.
If you think about it, my childhood hero's. the Kingsford smith's etc would now be in jail or most certainly "Not fit and proper persons"
I have talked to european Backpackers outside my home in SE Asia who all expressed that they were disappointed with Australia because everything was so controlled, no excitement, no freedom, maybe thats why people are not getting involved in aviation today.