PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Building my first aircraft.
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 22:06
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
If you build any sort of aircraft yourself in the UK, you're going to have to do so under the guidance of an LAA mentor/coach. Otherwise it'll be very, very hard to eventually get a Permit to Fly. These mentors, and the LAA in general, can also help you choose the right kit for you, based on budget, time available, skills you may or may not have (metal, wood, composite?) and so forth.

The LAA also runs a website which hosts a number of forums. As much as I like PPRuNe, for serious questions about kitbuilding I'd go there.

Welcome to the Light Aircraft Association

I can also recommend the following two books:
- Kitplane Construction (Wanttaja)
- Choosing your homebuilt (Armstrong)
LAA coaches are flying instructors, and there are two homebuilding organisations in the UK - LAA and BMAA.

Our chap will need to be a full member of BMAA or LAA, depending upon aircraft type - and will need a good inspector from the appropriate organisation. Quite a few, if not all, of the best inspectors are qualified with both however.

Quick build kits are just a money and time decision. Basically more bits come pre-assembled, but you pay for that. Whether that makes sense (assuming such a kit is available for the type) is ultimately a personal decision. There are also often part built kits available from people who got part wsy through the task and gave up. There are some bargains to be had there sometimes.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 21st Oct 2013 at 22:16.