PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor Mixture Control = Fire? I Think So
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 21:12
grafity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert185
The CFI didn't know to lean during taxi, how to clear the plugs during the runup, nor how to do a successful hot start. shame all around.
This is the quote that made me want to write the post I wrote. The point I was getting at, is that you could have easily discussed the event without heaping "shame" on the individual.

I agree with a previous poster, the whole flight school industry is back to front. I also find it irritating when those with decades of experience seem to revel in newbies screwing up. This is neither the first, nor last instructor, to not have a clue about the workings of an engine. With that many of them out there, it's not the individuals fault, but a problem with the system.

I do respect the fact that you helped in the situation, the song was only meant as a joke. Sorry if you took it to heart, but your whole post came across to me as; I'm a hero and I share the world with idiots.

Originally Posted by Desert185
Every place I worked as a CFI in the early days of my career, I can't remember when the Chief Flight Instructor would sit down with new CFI's and talk shop on how to manage engines and airplanes. I did learn a lot from a crusty, old airplane salesman who took me under his wing. I was a CFI and he wasn't, but thankfully I was smart enough to listen and absorb his experience and wisdom. He was my go-to guy.

RIP, John. You did good.
So you understand exactly the situation this young CFI was in then? Do you think it was possible that this could have happened to you, just as easily, before John took you under his wing?

Maybe a better way you could have remembered his legacy, would have been to pull the CFI aside and try to impart some of your experience and knowledge on them, as he did for you. Rather than assume them an idiot, due to their lack of experience.

Sorry to hear that 172driver. Have a nice life none the less.