PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airprox over Central Scotland
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 19:56
FlatBroke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"He also noted that, during simulation training, avoiding action was only practiced as a result of a TCAS alerts, and not as a result of ATC instructions; this was an important consideration as to their potential familiarity with receiving, assimilating and actioning such RT instructions in a timely manner."

What?? I'm not having a go at either crews actions, but this statement by the board member surprises me. Avoiding Action instructions should be expected at any stage of flight surely, and from my experience precede/prevent many TCAS alerts. After all a change of heading so you don't hit something is not exactly the most challenging of tasks to assimilate and action.

Apologise for the thread creep here, but this would appear to be the correct course of action following an "Avoiding Action" command from ATC. http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadba...2006-08-17.pdf

2.2.2 Responses to ‘Avoiding Action’ instructions should not be made via autopilot vertical or lateral flight path control selectors

because, due to the design of this equipment, the turn, climb or descent that the Air Traffic Controller has requested and expects to see

actioned will be initiated too slowly to serve the needs of the moment.

It's maybe my gashness, but I'll be honest in that I have never responded to an "avoiding action" instruction by disconnecting the automatics as this would (I think) increase, what can become, a high workload situation. Likewise, I've never seen anyone else do it.

I often wonder if ATC expect us to respond as per the above AIC.