PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Milan-JFK assault
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 18:37
new tomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is always nice to hear from pilots that think they have it good. I will leave my comments for Wiz to the end of my post.
Yes I have a lot to do with Chapter 11. Almost as much as you have to do with your non existent contract. Notice I said almost.
First let's go to pay. A Delta 777 FO makes $184 an hour. Since he is flying for a real airline that honors unions, right to work, rule of law and contracts he only flies 75 hours a month. That is $13,800 a month at 75 flying hours of which a portion would be credit. Do you know what credit hours' means? Probably not since EK pilots do not enjoy a contract of any significance.
Even though the FO gets paid for 75 flying hours he only probably flies anywhere from 65-75 hours a month. What a concept?
In addition he would get paid for sim, vacation, sick time, over water and night pay further lowering his 75 hour requirement. If he wants to pick up a trip on his days off he gets 1 1/2 or even double time. Wow! Let's throw in Equipment Substitution Pay, Cancellation Pay and Trip Credit which you have no idea what I am talking about but you can look it up.
The same EK captain would get in the neighborhood of $12,500 a month. That would be for 92-95 hours of hard time. NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER not even for his Sim or Vacation. So for potentially flying 30% more the EK captain gets 10% less pay. Has anyone noticed that a I compared a Delta FO to an EK Capt? A Delta 777 Capt would make $270 an hour!
Another Wow factor is the Delta FO only works 9-12 days a month. Yes that is work days and not Off days. What does the EK Capt work, 12-15 days Off? Yeah that is a close comparison.
Yes I know the EK pilot gets a house. I have seen the houses in Dubai. It is hard to complain about a free house but most houses are rather small with no yard to speak of.
Most American pilots spend 1-2 months to educate their kids in the UAE but we won't deduct that.
Also Americans have to pay US taxes when living abroad so their low salary at EK compared to other 777 pilots is taxed at the high rate in the US further lowering the advantage of working overseas. I don't have anything to do with that concept either.
Are you really comparing Delta to EK for pilots?
EK pilot lives in a world where he does not know what the company is going to take away next. How is your bidding system? What are they going to take away from you next? Do you think EK is going to steal your Bonus for the 3rd year in a row? I would bet Wiz a month salary that EK steals it again for a Three-Peat.
If it is so good there why are you getting the pilots you are getting? Yes I know. Someone pointed out Delta's mins. Yes that is the minimum. Again I would bet Wiz that our new hire classes are filled with pilots with over 10,000 flying hours. There isn't a snowball chance in hell that EK will get a pilot, any pilot with even 5,000 hours. 2,500 hour Ryan Air pilots are the norm and you know it.
Also if it is so good there why does our Training Dept have over 225 inquires from EK pilots about getting hired at Delta? Word is UAL has about the same with numerous EK pilots wanting to leave for DL, UAL, AA or SWA. Sorry Wiz I like to compare apples to apples, you can take your REX airlines and take Spirit and the Furlough Jets. Noticed how I compared widebody pilots to widebody pilots? But EK is good for you Wiz. Not many airlines would hire a Twice Taken especially in Aus.