PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Childhood Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 15:33
GazRawly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Childhood Epilepsy

Good afternoon.

I am trying to come to a conclusion as to whether or not it's worth taking a medical and if I can become a Pilot.

I vaguely remember my parents stating that I had a mild form of childhood epilepsy when I was younger and having just visited my doctor I have a better understanding of my history. Still unable to gain full medical history as my files date back to before computer documentation

The CAA's website states the following;
(c) Applicants with an established history or clinical diagnosis of:
(1) epilepsy without recurrence after age 5;
(2) epilepsy without recurrence and off all treatment for more than 10 years;

So, would this mean that if the Epilepsy period was after 5 years of age BUT has not occurred for well over the last 10 years then this denies access?

(1) A diagnosis of epilepsy is disqualifying, unless there is unequivocal evidence of a syndrome of benign childhood epilepsy associated with a very low risk of recurrence, and unless the applicant has been free of recurrence and off treatment for more than 10 years. One or more convulsive episodes after the age of 5 are disqualifying. In the case of an acute symptomatic seizure, which is considered to have a very low risk of recurrence, a fit assessment may be considered after neurological review.

From reading this, it seems as though I am immediately disqualified as I was born in 1985, I had mild symptoms in 1992 and the last was in 1995. Do you think it's worth writing to the CAA and confirming this as there has been no symptoms since 1995? When asked, the doctor said that this was benign childhood epilepsy associated with very low risk of recurrence. He kindly printed out my medical from when I applied for my driving licence back in 2003.