PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dilemma
Thread: My dilemma
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 14:42
vegancruiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dilemma

On March 1st this year, at the age of 62, I started flying lessons at the Cornwall Flying Club near Bodmin in south west England. Aircraft have always been a passion of mine, having previously served in the RAF as an engineer, and in 2011 finishing my working life in Germany, working for Airbus. Now that I'm retired I'm realising a lifelong ambition to become a private pilot.

To date I've completed nearly 40 hours of flight training in a Cessna 152 and I've passed all my ground exams, excluding the RT practical. I went solo in June after 24 hours but progress since has been frustratingly slow, due largely to poor weather sabotaging my planned lessons! I'm currently in the circuit consolidation phase of the training, prior to moving on to the navigation exercises. I confess that I haven't found learning to fly as 'easy' as I'd anticipated but nevertheless I'm making progress and I'm keen to complete my PPL training before I get much older!

I've already invested almost £6000 in lessons and equipment and given that my resources aren't limitless, my question is, can anyone recommend a good flying school(s) in France, Spain, Italy etc. where I could complete my training quickly, and hopefully in more consistent weather conditions?

Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming!
Mike