PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor Mixture Control = Fire? I Think So
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 14:41
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grafity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185
Even though I am 100 yds away, I am the first to arrive with a fire extinguisher and successfully extinguish the fire after running by zombie on lookers.
Was this playing in the back of your mind as you ran to save the day?
Since you ask...I was thinking why are all those pilots just standing around doing nothing? Why doesn't someone grab an extinguisher? Something had to be done and no one was doing anything.

Fair play to you for stepping up to the mark, but do you really have to come on here and snipe at the misgivings of the CFI? I'm pretty sure you were that experience level at one stage.
How else would you describe the incident? By not mentioning the CFI in the airplane? I published this as a learning experience for those on this forum who might not now have the knowledge and might have a CFI who needs a bit more vetting before being paid to do his job...and I get criticized for doing it.

An interesting side story is that another CFI ground-looped her aircraft, which is why she was in a Warrior at this fly-in.

BTW, I never had that experience as a CFI or as a small aircraft operator. Must have had good instruction and paid attention. Now that we have computers and the internet, the acquisition of knowledge should be easier...provided one isn't concerned about criticism for contributing to that knowledge. [/quote]

Thanks for sharing the incident, as we can all learn from it I'm sure, but a little more modesty would make you a much more like hero.
Hero status is overrated and over-applied these days. I'm no hero. It was just part of relaying the story, and the point is that no one was doing anything. Do people have to be taught to be resourceful and assist others these days, or do people just not want to lend assistance for whatever reason?