PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical and licencing question EASA changes
Old 21st Oct 2013, 12:09
colmana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical and licencing question EASA changes

My UK PPL A allows me the privileges of an EASA LAPL until conversion to EASA or expiry of the CAA extension in 2015. However I still remain a little unclear as to the validity of my medical.

It’s a class two and expires in November of this year, with regard to the privileges of the UKPPL or if I had an EASA PPL , the medical also states that it is valid until November 2014 for LAPL privileges.

The way I am reading it is that the extension gives me LAPL privileges currently and that my medical meets the LAPL privileges as it remains valid for that use until November 2014, to add a twist I am flying an Annexe 2 aircraft on a permit to fly and a UK PPL or LAPL allows me to do this, If I continue to fly on the current medical can I fall back on the LAPL privileges? and remain legal.

I am on the fence with converting my licence to an EASA PPL or LAPL as the costs are quite high and other EASA legislation will cost me thousands in compliance and quite frankly I could do without spending £175+ on an unnecessary medical , I am not bashing the CAA who I know are having to plod through their own issues , but this euro babble has created red tape and unnecessary costs without any clear benefit that I can see.

Your thoughts are welcome ..I have put the question to the CAA and this was their response:

Thank you for your email regarding exercising LAPL privileges on your existing UK PPL licence. I confirm you can continue to use this licence up to the deadline date flying LAPL privileges after April 2014. This is subject to medical, ratings and language proficiency being valid. I have attached a link to our statement detailing this. Pilots reminded of changes to National licences due in 2014 | CAA Newsroom | About the CAA