PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor Mixture Control = Fire? I Think So
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 12:04
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I'm seeing nowadays its pretty much as you've already observed.

Little Johnny gets his PPL then CPL/ IR and comes out with just over 200hrs having spent all his flying life in a supervised 'school' environment. If an aircraft has an issue, he signs it tech and goes off and flys another.

Unable to get an airline job, he then goes on and gets an FI ticket to build hours out of necessity rather than a deisre to instruct. He then starts teaching the next 'Little Johnny' still having never left the supervised school environment himself and so the cycle continues.

I personally learned a heck of a lot about 'operating' an aircraft from the older more experienced members when I first joined a group and flew with them. Some of these chaps had 30years+ flying with well over 1000 GA hours behind them and knew all sorts of practical tips and tricks you'll never get from a 200hr FI.

I then learned a whole load more once I went on to own my own aircaft and had to start maintaining it myself!

In principle I think LAA pilot coaches could have a lot to offer a freshly qualified PPL but with only 2 in the whole of Scotland I'm not surprised not many people use their services!

Regards

UA