PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC – what measurable safety benefit?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 10:12
bankrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank Arouet
One is wise not to stand between a Local Government official and a tin of cash and we all know what happened.
I'd be surprised if there's a single regional council out there forced to do "security" upgrades that didn't end up out of pocket in the process. Most of them are flat out keeping the runway and taxiways up to scratch with the money they have, and only bother at all to keep their once or twice daily RPT service.

Originally Posted by VH-XXX
The police security checks are a joke also. Convicted criminals possess ASIC cards so what is the point? I know of a rapist (time served) and an arsonist (time served) that have ASIC cards, so I struggle to see who they are stopping from obtaining them by use of the security check....
That's the thing -- it's a "security" check, not a criminal background check. It's a essentially a check to make sure the person seeking the card isn't already on an ASIO sh*tlist because they spend too much time at the Lakemba mosque or something.

That said, already possessing a Top Secret security clearance (the process to obtain which is infinitely more thorough than anything involved in the ASIC process) doesn't get you a free ride either. Mates of mine who are serving ADF members with such clearances have had to go through the same process as everyone else to get their ASICs.