PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 21st Oct 2013, 08:48
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gypsie Magpie - not getting any better I'm afraid. I remain staggered that you think there are ATPLs/CPLs out there that really do not know that if you reduce the collective sufficiently when coupled on ALT or VS on a 3 axis AFCS that the set ALT or VS may not be maintained. Seriously scary. And obviously that did include you. If that's the case then pilots either need better training to cover this right now - or perhaps just be brighter. As I said before, this is basic physics, and there will be umpteen other flight scenarios that require a fundamental understanding of what keeps the things in the air, and the right way up. And yes, I have tried it.

The fact is 3 axis AFCSs are considered safe systems by the the regulators for coupled IMC approaches with one pilot, let alone two, and I can't see that changing for a long time, so any vulnerability must be addressed by pilot training and competency.

Ye Olde Pilot may have put it harshly, but I think our industry would look better from the outside if there was a greater willingness from some to accept basic responsibility when mistakes are made - in this case surely by the pilots. It's understandable that in the close knit pilot community people feel defensive of their colleagues - but are those seeking to attribute responsibility to corporate approach/training/aircraft systems going to be as ready to do so when a relative of theirs gets killed by a coach driver on the public roads that loses concentration? I suspect not.

YOP I think however you're wrong to slam the pilots for not talking so far. I bet in some ways they'd love to, to help them share their angst and try and move on. But the legal implications just mean they can't. The situation is obviously very serious for them. When the time is right I suspect they will provide very candid views.

I am quite sure that following this accident a lot of us doing IMC approaches are focussed that bit more on proper scans and parameter monitoring, and that flying will be the safer for it. As has been said before, Pprune does a great job publicising incidents and sparking debate about causes, and definitely benefits flight safety. And He1aviator - quite right, disclosure of mistakes by others is the best learning tool.