PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2013, 03:39
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A fitting punishment

As PPRuNers assuredly already know, the root of aeronautics law is admiralty law and jurisdiction. So let's consider...in Her Majesty's Royal Navy in, let's say, 1853, if some person, let's call him "L" for l@ser, had pointed some device, let's say it was a 19th-century version such as a whale-oil lamp with a rig of mirrors and magnifying lenses, at the helmsman of a corvette as she was brought into port, what would L have been subjected to? If not a seaman, flogging seems unlikely. Jailing? Conscription into the nether-holds of the rottenest ship in the fleet? It would take some real legal research to determine the classification of the crime and its punishment, but I'd venture to say that interference with navigation indeed was known to the common law courts, or more likely the bench sitting in admiralty.

What is the contemporary equivalent? For interference with navigation, I would propose the punishment of conscripted civilian naval service: for one convicted of said offense, a minimum of 12 months aboard the LEAST rat-free vessel in the host nation's navy, confined to quarters adjacent to the galley, where L will work at washing dishes, pots and pans, and floor mats, and will not be allowed above decks other than for perfect conduct, obedience and behavior.

And no liberty allowed, port of call regardless. Though, if my own stint as a galley-swab-Eh?-platebuster is any guide or indication, liberties, and certain of them, would be taken.