PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commentary on "The Good Old Days" of Airline Travel
Old 21st Oct 2013, 01:50
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trooping flight culinary memories...

What memories this brings back as a child of Airwork and Britavia Hermes trooping flights to and from Kenya...arriving at Khartoum in a very hot aircraft, the aircraft doors opening with such a blast of hot air ... searing heat on our way over to the terminal...and what did they give us to eat...steaming hot brown stew, carrots and mash...I can still remember the large carafes of iced water with the condensation running down the outside. But Dad wouldn't let us drink the water 'in case it was dirty' ...talk about torture! Late-night arrival at RAF Luqa, Malta, after a very rough flight from Entebbe...and we sat down to the greasiest, cold egg and bacon breakfast. Revolting! Opening up the in-flight cardboard box of food doled out at Blackbushe and finding the tiredest of old ham sandwiches, accompanied by a black banana and sad apple. Luckily Mum had brought a couple of packets of chocolate Kunzle cakes...remember them? Another night landing...at El Adem, Libya, for dinner...but the terminal was deserted...they'd got tired of waiting and gone home, leaving just cold tea and biscuits. But it wasn't all bad and I still savour the wonderful taste of army sausages, chips and tinned tomatoes at Nairobi on our arrival. Happy days!