PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Air Shuttle
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2013, 18:36
LN-KGL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipness 1E, if what SR71 said in the thread you are linking to is representative of the knowledge there, I would say it is only at best mere assumptions. Norwegian has not announced any flights between BKK and LGW. With that, one can say a link to Thailand is broken since one need minimum six long haul legs before returning to base. A much stronger link will exist between LGW and USA though, and since Norwegian has said they're setting up a US base (most probably in Florida and/or New York) - a safe bet will be that cheap labour from the US (compared with Scandinavian) will be mostly used on flights from Fort Lauderdale, Oakland, Los Angeles, Sanford and parts of the New York JFK flights. There may also be a possibility for UK based crew (again such crew will be much cheaper than similar Scandinavian crew).

Contrary to most other here I have had two flights with DY's Dreamliners. With that I also know a bit more about the country mix of the Bangkok based cabin crew. On these two flights around half the crew came from Scandinavian countries (mostly senior crew) and the rest was of Asian origin.

Now, for me it is interesting to know why Skipness 1E has made it to his mission to reveal Norwegian Long Haul. It is known that stakeholders within the aviation industry have front people that monitors such social media as this forum with the task to try to influence or even swing it their way. I'm not saying you are one of those Skipness 1E. There can of course be a perfectly good other explanation like something similar to the local patriotism we see Saturdays at football stadiums.

The last eleven years I have studied the British aviation industry as a hobby. One thing that has struck me visiting airlines, maintenance facilities, airports and aviation museums around the UK is the amount of knowledge that has been collected, but the knowledge is so darn local or is it better to say provincial. If you go to places like Brooklands you get a wealth of information about the Viscount or the VC10, but if you happen to ask about the specially modified superstall test One-Eleven parked there the knowledge is close to zero (it was after all built at Hurn). But there are gems too like if you want to learn more about the Concorde and its operation, you have to find the Fortune in Scotland.

Last edited by LN-KGL; 20th Oct 2013 at 18:37.