PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taxi drivers
Thread: Taxi drivers
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2013, 10:17
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-avaiation or marine civvie R/T

Hi Pompey,

Years ago I used to work for a local authority public works department. They had a radio service to communicate with field staff that operated from our central depot.

The radio-telephone technique was almost straight from the nineteen-thirties; 'roger' wasn't used but 'come in please' regularly was. Other than that it was just street language.

I formed the impression that if I was to use ICAO radio-telephone technique, nobody would get my messages. My messages would be far too short and quick for them to be understood and they would never catch up with something spelled out over R/T with the international phonetic spelling system.

The reason for all this is simple. All (non-aviation or marine) radio licence holders are supposed to train their staff in the use of radio language, but in fact none of them ever does. In part this is due to rapid staff turnover. If you have people like truck-drivers and street sweeping gangers using radio, you are going to have to have a constant radio course running, which some will never pass, and some times you are going to have to give a radio to someone who has not been trained because the regular guy is off sick and the only available backup is someone new.

I fear we are stuck with this situation. Anyway, Star Trek is no different. On Friday I heard one of them say 'come in please'.

Just give up: it ain't worth it.

BP.