PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 20th Oct 2013, 09:07
thelearner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicomparitor
Unfortunately I don't think there is that much more to it than meets the eye. My supposition is that Copilot was looking out. Captain was looking out too because he wanted to get in and was aware of the lack of copilot's experience, and no-one was looking at the instruments properly (they were looking at the altitude, but not the airspeed).
If this turns out to be true, then the Captain should never have left the ground. If a Captain does not have 100% faith in the co-pilots ability to do his job there is no point in flying with him? Is this the root cause - lack of experienced pilots?

I agree the 2 crew will be destroyed - they did not deliberately or wilfully crash this helicopter, and it is vital we get to the root causes. I don't think the offshore workforce will be blaming the pilots, unless like everything else in life a tiny minority may. It was a minority who started the other page as well, and most of the posters had probably never been in a helicopter.

However, this report will do nothing but increase the anxiety of those who are nervous helicopter travellers. All that seems to have changed so far is change of procedures (which hopefully will be a big step forward? - although you don't all seem to agree) and Sumburgh have to improve sea rescue capability.