PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was this winch necessary?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2013, 15:50
Treg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, I am concerned that further discussion on the merits of winching for this scenario will produce stronger derogatory labels than "monday morning umpiring", but as this is the second fatal winching accident in Australia in recent history I would like to continue the debate in the interest of maximising safety for future casualties/crews.

Therefore, with regard to winching in this instance the ATSB states:

"...In this context the size, weight and medical condition of the person(s) being winched may indicate that other recovery options offer reduced risk..."

The most likely 'other recovery option' for this scenario IMO would have been a double strop lift i.e. a casualty with a broken ankle is likely sitting or lying flat anyway and therefore placement of two strops would be achievable without undue risk to aircraft, crew or casualty.

A genuine question for all: if a loved one of yours sustained similar injury and there was no alternative but to conduct a high winch, would you recommend a single or double strop winch?

Additionally, should crews that only practice live winching at height not above 15', in an area where forced landing must be achievable, be tasked to conduct high winches over steep and heavily treed terrain?