PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Flying- does it really just become a "job" after some time?
Old 16th Mar 2002, 09:26
COWPAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Shon 7,. .. .Good question. I have been in the industry 20 years and 10 000 hours and in that time I have always managed to enjoy doing my job. What has become a lot less enjoyable is the way flight crew are more and more being viewed as taxi drivers by the bean counters who invariably run the airline.. .. .I could tell you the tale of a "friend" of mine who is a beancounter. At the end of 2001 he got GBP 20 000 bonus for saving his airline money. How did he do it? He made over 30 of his own pilots redundant. What are his airline doing 3 months later? Cancelling trips because they are short of crews. Has he lost his bonus? No!. .. .Forget BALPA etc, the union for us is now the Transport and General Workers Union.. .. .But yes, I still enjoy the flying, even though it leaves a bitter taste knowing that some pencil sharpening bean counter that is supposed to work for the same company as me is looking to increase his bonus by making me redundant.. .. .The fun has gone out of it mate.