PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was this winch necessary?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2013, 06:29
Treg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback

Apologies for the slow response, nonetheless thanks for the feedback. The boson’s chair lift is one I’ve never heard of for helicopter operations, but certainly demonstrates lateral thinking given the injuries and location described. Is it a standard piece of equipment carried on your machines?

To the specifics of my initial questions, I note three experienced people with three variables to their answers:

Ausierob – need for a crotch strap.

Crab – two strops would have been more comfortable / prevented shock / quick efficient and safe.

Cabe – probably a good solution, but a single strop placed correctly should not have been a problem.

Supplementary questions, primarily for Cabe:

1. Of the occasions you have undertaken single strop rescues, how many of these did the rescuer attached to the winch hook elect to wear a single strop in preference to a harness?

2. If it were possible to find those people you have rescued in a single strop over the years and explain to them the benefits of two strops (see Crab’s comments) would they, do you think, be happy with just a single strop if ever winched over land again?

3. In the context of in-depth-barrier-defence and risk management, is use of a single strop appropriate? Again, see Crab’s comments.

Cabe/Crab – I acknowledge that we do not know whether this fracture was complicated and therefore do not know whether circulatory issues may have necessitated a more expeditious winch over a land evacuation. However, we do know that post incident the body was recovered by stretcher to the identified road by ground teams in approximately 1.5hrs (reported in Australian media) without rescuer injury. Also, we do know that there was at least five hours of daylight when the decision to winch was made. Therefore, can I please redirect you to my first question and ask for more detailed rationale to support a high winch (for a broken ankle) in this scenario?

Crab – was the height limit removed from both military and civil operations in the UK? Either way, do you have any relevant documentation that supports the reversal, and are you able to share it? Because essentially I believe that the Australian 15’ training limit, whilst implemented as a safety measure after a winching fatality, is actually a hindrance to operational safety, especially as experience leaves our industry.

Again, please do not see this as an attack on the crew.

Last edited by Treg; 19th Oct 2013 at 06:31.