PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying skills not a priority says Embry Riddle educator
Old 19th Oct 2013, 02:36
c100driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I told the story of how my check airman acting as my FO screwed up the automation so much out of SJO I just hand flew our departure and went opposite what he had programmed to follow our clearance. He finally caught up but I wish I had a first year FO that flight to make the automation match our clearance.
and

I am repeating this but my first B767 check out with a check airman as FO he wanted to take the leg to Dulles but he had it so screwed up high and fast I told him autopilot and autothrottle off, pull the speed brakes out, idle power, configure because he forgot to arm the approach mode so flew through glide slope and we dove down and salvaged the approach.
It appears to me that you have just confirmed the E-R Educator comment that Automation Management is at least as important as Manipulation Skills?

And that, Panosian says, makes a pilot's need for systems and information management skills at least as important as their stick and rudder abilities,
Good Manipulation Skills needed to save Poor Automation Management?

However Good Automation Skills does not equal "no requirement for Good Manipulation Skills"

Last edited by c100driver; 19th Oct 2013 at 02:38. Reason: speeling